Quarantine CookingTuesday 05/5/2020
Welcome to week 8 of quarantine - also known as two full months of cooking at home. Is anyone else in a cooking rut and running out of fresh ideas? It seems to be getting harder and harder to find specific ingredients we need for recipes at the store. To fix this, let's rethink our grocery shopping and cooking routine. Instead of shopping for specific items, we should focus on stocking up on healthy, interchangeable items that can be used a variety of ways in a variety of meals.
- Healthy grains: brown rice, pearl couscous, grain mixes like Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend, whole wheat orzo, barley, quinoa.
- Protein: eggs, chicken, beef, tofu, pork, hard cheeses (parmesan is a great option). Always buy pasture raised/organic if possible!
- Condiments: organic mayo, grainy/spicy mustard, good olive oil, flavored vinegar, tahini, real lemon and lime juice, various hot sauces.
- Herbs and spices: garlic and onion powder, sea salt, whole pepper corns, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, basil, rosemary.
- Canned goods: black beans, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato sauce.
- 8 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 golden potatoes, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- olive oil and salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil (mild tasting)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- a big bunch of cilantro and/or parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- squeeze of half a lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste – I like 3/4 teaspoon)
- hard boiled eggs
- chicken, tofu, any other protein
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roasted Vegetables: Arrange your vegetables onto a few baking sheets lined with parchment (I keep each vegetable in its own little section). Toss with olive oil and salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Sauce: While the veggies are roasting, blitz up your sauce in the food processor or blender.
- Finish: Voila! Portion and save for the week! Serve with avocado or hard boiled eggs or… anything else that would make your lunch life amazing.