Treating Thyroid Problems with BHRTFriday 01/7/2022
How can BHRT help treat thyroid problems?
Treating Thyroid Problems
I am a board-certified OBGYN, which makes me an expert in female endocrinology. I’ve had twenty-five years of experience in delivering babies and treating and advising women regarding pregnancy, sex, diet, hormonal changes, perimenopause, menopause, and related topics. Sometimes, when I run comprehensive blood labs for my new patients, I discover they also have thyroid abnormalities, which can be related to low or fluctuating levels of testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone. Treating the root of the problem, which is usually an underactive thyroid, is an integral part of the equation in making these patients feel better. My goal is not just to replace hormones, but to treat the whole individual and truly restore his/her health.
What Does My Thyroid Do?
Think of your thyroid gland as the traffic controller of your entire endocrine system—the cop in the middle of a busy intersection with a whistle. Your thyroid is at the center of all the activity, signaling what gets to go where and who gets to go first. If this master gland is asleep on the job, your body is in big trouble and there is bound to be a major traffic jam, as well as a few crashes.
The thyroid gland is at the base of your neck, just above your collarbone. It orchestrates all your bodily functions, including body temperature, metabolism, digestion, cholesterol levels, heart rate, breathing, muscle development, appetite, and the release of your sex hormones. Your thyroid is continually communicating with your brain, your hypothalamus, and your pituitary gland to make all these complicated hormonal changes happen throughout the day, every single day.
The two primary hormones released by the thyroid are Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4). T3 and T4 levels must be neither too low nor too high. I like to make sure that all my patients are in balance, and if they need a thyroid replacement hormone, I will prescribe it for them, and counsel them on the best diet and supplements to get them back to feeling energized and healthy.
Our Thyroid Treatment Plans
Optimal Bio offers treatment plans for two types of thyroid disorders:
- Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough of the thyroid hormones. Symptoms include weight gain, sleeplessness, brain fog,” constipation, dry skin and hair, depression, anxiety, sensitivity to cold, joint pain, muscle cramps, and extreme fatigue.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is an autoimmune disorder characterized by inflammation of the thyroid gland and severe inflammation throughout the body. Symptoms are usually the same as those for hypothyroidism, although, in the initial stages, Hashimoto’s patients sometimes experience weight loss, heart palpitations, and panic attacks.
Full treatment plans for our thyroid patients will include:
- Initial consultation and ongoing consultations throughout treatment.
- Comprehensive lab testing to determine the type and severity of the thyroid disorder.
- Recommendations for a proper diet to address the patient’s individual needs.
- Detox information to help clean and heal the body from the inside out.
- The best possible supplements for the patient’s condition will be available for purchase in our office.
- Prescriptions for thyroid replacement hormone or other medications the patient may require.
How BHRT Can help
Women are eight times more likely to develop thyroid disorders than men, although thyroid disorders are becoming increasingly common in men as well. According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated twenty million people in the United States are suffering from thyroid dysfunction, and more than half are unaware of it. A fact mainstream medical professionals commonly overlook is that the loss of testosterone and estrogen as we age is intricately connected to thyroid problems. It naturally follows that treating patients with bioidentical hormones goes hand in hand with restoring proper thyroid function.
At Optimal Bio, our goal is to optimize your hormones so you can look and feel your best for a lifetime. The endocrine system is extraordinarily complex and delicate. The key to perfect health is balancing hormones at the ideal levels, adding high-quality nutraceuticals (a pharmaceutical alternative which claims physiological benefits), and adopting a healthy diet.
With appropriate lab testing, we can help you identify the specific cause of your symptoms and design a treatment plan that best suits you as an individual. Allow us to help you feel better than you ever dreamed possible—at any age! No, you do not have to resign yourself to feeling tired, achy, and old. Join the thousands of men and women who have realized that with proper hormone replacement, age is truly just a number!