Supplements: Why Do We Need Them?Thursday 07/20/2023
The purpose behind supplements is simple: they work to supplement your diet to ensure you’re getting enough nutrients and to enhance your health. While we might think that we are getting adequate nutrients, most of the time we are lacking. Our nutrient deficiencies can be caused by a number of things, including factory farming and the diminishing quality of whole foods, an increase in the intake of processed foods, drug induced nutrient depletion, stress, and lack of sleep. A study done by the CDC found that among U.S. adults aged 20 and over, 57.6% used at least one dietary supplement - clearly, we are all searching for ways to achieve optimal health and nutrition.
While supplements are never a substitute for a balanced, healthful lifestyle and we shouldn’t solely focus on them to improve our diet, they can certainly lend a helping hand. Listed below are some common supplements that we all can benefit from.
- Vitamin D3 (ideally with K for added absorption): Great immunity booster!
- Vitamin C: Protects against infection.
- Probiotic: Supports the gut - it's where a strong immune system starts!
- Zinc: Additional immune support.
- Fish Oil: Look for Omega-3 with no fillers. Good for your heart and brain.
- Magnesium: Sleep support.
- CoQ10: It is paramount in energy production - supports mitochondrial health.
But how do I know which supplements I should take?
Unfortunately, there is no magic pill. Peak nutrient levels are not one-size-fits-all. Everyone has different micronutrient needs based on gender, eating habits, age, physical activity, state of health, and medications.
Out of the supplements listed above, CoQ10, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil are three that are extremely beneficial to all of us across the board. Our Optimal Bio podcast goes in depth about the following:
- CoQ10: As mentioned above, CoQ10 is paramount in energy production. There might be CoQ10 deficiencies caused by medications or fatigue and lack of energy in general. Taking CoQ10 supplements can help with all of these issues, as well as help your heart work at a healthy, functional level.
- Vitamin C: We are one of the only animals in the world that does not produce Vitamin C under stress and duress as a buffer. Not only does Vitamin C boost the immune system, it is also the base for all collagen production within the body. Taking Vitamin C is so important because it is an essential vitamin that our body is not making, so it is necessary that it is incorporated into our diets elsewhere.
- Fish Oil: The omega 3 fatty acids are what to really look for within fish oil supplements - focus on the amount of EPA and DHA per capsule. Taking a quality fish oil supplement will aid in the development of our eyes and brain, as well as promote our heart and lung health.
All in all, quality is paramount in each of the supplements that you take and you should always be consulting your physician. We all want to be our strongest, healthiest selves, and vitamins and minerals are essential in helping our bodies achieve our peak levels of vitality.
Contact Optimal Bio Today for Help
Want to learn more about what supplements you should be taking for your personal optimal health? Optimal Bio is happy and willing to help.
Optimal Bio provides Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for men and women. We provide hormonal imbalance testing and solutions to some of the most common medical issues associated with aging and current environmental factors. We are committed to finding your perfect hormonal balance, custom-tailored to your body, so you can have the energy, health, and vitality you desire. Contact us today or visit us at one of our 7 office locations: Cary, Southern Pines, Wilmington, Charlotte, Charleston, Charlottesville, or Greenville.