Supplements: The Key to Peak HealthMonday 18/05/2020
Finally, there seems to be a light at then end of the tunnel. Here in North Carolina, things seem to be very slowly opening up again, which is great; however, we've spent two months in quarantine. That's a while to be living in a proverbial “bubble,” allowing our immune systems to become lazy. If you haven't been great about building your immune system during quarantine, now is a great time to start. We all need to be at peak health as we begin venturing out and exposing ourselves and our immune systems to things it hasn’t seen in a while! Now is the time to take a serious look at supplements.
Imagine a perfect world where we all get enough sleep, eat a ton of green, have no stress, and never touch junk food. The reality we live in is far different! Even when we try our best, we have developed many ways to decrease our uptake of important nutrients. For example:
- Factory farming: The nutrient quality of whole foods has greatly diminished in the last 20 years.
- Processed foods: These foods are filled with too much sugar and chemicals and not enough nutrients
- Drug induced nutrient depletion: Many of the prescription and OTC medications we take actually block absorption of nutrients.
- Stress and lack of sleep
While supplements can't replace a poor diet, they can help prevent damage that poor habits are causing. The following is a list of some supplements that can help all of us:
- Vitamin D3 (ideally with K for added absorption): Great immunity booster!
- Vitamin C : Protects against infection.
- Probiotic: Supports the gut - it's where a strong immune system starts!
- Zinc: Additional immune support.
- Fish Oil: Look for Omega-3 with no fillers. Good for your heart and brain.
- Magnesium: Sleep support.
- CoQ10: Supports mitochondrial health.
These supplements are a great start for everyone, but also ask your doctor about other supplements that target your specific needs. We all need a little support is our quest to be our healthiest, strongest selves.